<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 06, 2004

Is this an LA thing specifically, or a people are a**holes in general thing? 

Last night Michelle and I were in Glendale to see a taping of Last Comic Standing. It was cool, we liked it. Yada yada.

Well after the show we stopped to get gas, and there was this guy trying to push his van into the gas station but it was too heavy to do alone. I'm looking around to see if any of the "big, strong males" at the local Mobil were gonna help the dude out, but nobody is coming to this buddy's rescue. Well, Michelle was inside paying, so I hopped out and ran over to help the guy. Keep in mind I'm dressed up and in pumps, and not that I don't want to help the guy, but I'm thinking, this display of me struggling like mad trying to push this big ass van and slipping in my shoes will surely bring out one of the many men, pumping gas at this station. But no, not a one. This guy standing at his "i'm compensating for my manly inadequecies (sp?)" Hummer is just staring at the two of us trying to move this thing an inch. Well, the van was so big that it would just move a little then roll back. So we gave up, then Michelle comes out and helps us, and she's in an even nicer outfit with even more excruciatingly painful shoes. We push a bit and then finally another guy comes out and joins the fight and we finally get this thing to where it will reach a pump. All while people are just standing there at their cars, watching the spectacle.

And so I was telling Rebekah, my neighbor here at work this morning and she said a similar thing happened to her sister. I guess her car died at a signal, and her boyfriend gets out to push it off to the side of the road, and people are honking at him because he's holding up traffic.

Have we lost our compassion for those in need? Is it that hard to take a few minutes out of your day to help another human being out, or at least be considerate enough not to stare or honk? I'm sure I'm guilty myself of not always extending a helping hand where needed, but one thing I know I'm not guilty of is gawking at the poor bastard as he tries to free himself from his temporary nightmare. People can be such douchebags sometimes.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?