<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 28, 2004

My beef with dreaming 

In my collegiate career, I have done a lot of research on dreams and dream interpretation for various speeches or projects. Some people dream vividly, some only in black and white. Some people can't remember their dreams at all. But everyone dreams.

I almost always remember my dreams. And if don't remember the dream content, I can usually remember the tone of the dream as it sometimes contributes to my mood of the day. I always dream in color, and sometimes I dream in two languages. My dreams are very detailed and sometimes very bizzare. It's probably a hint of my insanity.

More often than not, I wish that I didn't have this ability. The only type of dream I like is a lucid dream, where we are in control of what happens. (Well, I like daydreaming too, but that's a completely different animal.) But so many times I wish I could just forget everything I dreamt the night before.

There are several reasons why. I'll start with the most obvious: nightmares. I've never been the type to enjoy being scared. I'm not a big fan of the Knott's Halloween Haunt. I don't ever like going to scary movies. So why would I enjoy being scared in my sleep? And not only that, it disrupts my sleep. Sometimes I'll wake up as a result of a nightmare and not be able to go to sleep for hours. It sucks.

Sometimes I'll dream about dead relatives. They'll either be suffering through their terminal illness all over again in the dream, or they'll be alive and well and very much a part of my life. These dreams are always so realistic. Then I wake up and am depressed for much of the day. It's a reminder that they aren't here anymore and it brings back all the pain and sadness from when they died. Not fun.

Then finally, I'll have done my best to get over something in my life, almost completely forget about it (or should I say, him) and all of a sudden it's the subject of a dream. I'll be on my best behavior to not focus on the subject or person, then I'll finally get to a point where it's no longer a fixation and BAM, it's back, weighing on my mind. A minor example of this is dieting. I'll be doing awesome with watching what I eat, then sometimes I'll dream all night about brownies with mint frosting or ice cream sundaes. Or I'll have finally realized that whatever guy I'm crazy about is not into me and he'll be out of my thoughts, when along comes a dream where he calls me up and can't live without me. I really hate that.

I wish there was a way where I could lucid dream all the time, or just not remember my dreams at all. It certainly would help me to be in a better mood on a lot of days.

Your thoughts??



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?